Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Arachnophobia

So many of you have heard the spider story from when we were first married. If not, let me give you a little recap:

About a week or two after we got married, I was peacefully sleeping through the night when I was abruptly woken up to Alex screaming, “Amy GET UP, GET OUT OF THE BED RIGHT NOW!!!” He was half away across the room, almost into the kitchen. I was still pretty out of it, so I was like, “what . . . why?” Alex responded “HURRY GET OUT OF BED NOW! IT’S GOING TO GET YOU!!! AMY NOW!!!”

At this point, I freaked out because I thought someone had broken into our apartment. So, I hurriedly jumped out of bed and ran towards the door. As I’m doing this, Alex just stands there still, all of a sudden completely calm. Wondering why he wasn’t following me, I looked back to see that he had turned on the lights and was getting back into bed.

Confused and still quite freaked out, I said “Honey, we got to get out of here. What happened?” He looked up, looked down, looked at me, and said “I thought I saw a giant spider dropping down from the ceiling. Never mind, you can go back to bed.” Then he promptly turned over and started to snore, as if it had never happened.

Needless to say, I had a hard time getting back to sleep that night.

Well, we now look back on this and laugh. But as Alex’s fear of spiders run deep, it actually happened again about a week ago. This time it was a little less intense, I think Alex realized that he was just having a bad dream before he got to the girlishly screaming part. He just turned on the lights and calmly told me to get to bed. Having been through this before, I asked why and he just looked around the room and said, “never mind, I thought I saw a spider.”

No comments: